Thursday, May 13, 2010

"If You REALLY Knew Me......"

The first time I was asked to complete the sentence above, I was standing among a group of High School students, in a circle, holding a microphone, scared out of my mind. My first choice for a response was "you'd know that my favorite color is green."
Now I know that the purpose of this activity was to open myself up and 'lower the water line', so to speak, so that others could know some things about me that I don't usually share.
How would I complete this sentence today?
If you really knew me, you would know that......
--I approach life with my eyes wide open. I ran from life for the first 46 years of my life, so now I strive to see, hear and experience everything around me in a very real way.
--Now that I 'feel', I feel deeply and completely.
--Fear is a challenge to me now, not a deterrent.
--My greatest joy is being. Being with Dave is the ultimate. ♥
--I love meeting people, and getting to know them on a 'real' level.
--I am a 'helper', but no longer a caretaker. It's much more rewarding.
--I am not ashamed nor embarrassed for being imperfect.
--Pet peeve--people hurting other people, in any manner.
--I love to hear myself laugh!
--I'm going to write a book....someday...
--I wish that my family (of origin) would give back as much as they expect.
--I am passionate about my involvement with eating disorder awareness.
--I have a large group of friends, and they are the greatest people on the face of the Earth!
--I am no longer searching for who 'I am supposed to be'.
--I have learned how to give, without taking from myself.
These are only a few things about who I am, as I have come to discover in just the past few years. Before that time, I would have not known, nor been comfortable sharing anything about my true self with anyone.
Life is too short to waste even one more day trying to 'make myself' what I think I am supposed to be. Looking within and honoring ME, for who I am, body and soul, is my greatest and most rewarding accomplishment.
How would YOU complete the sentence above, holding nothing back?
Without apology....♥

5 comments:

  1. I'm honored to know who you are. Much of what you wrote rang true for me too.

    But if you really knew me, you'd know that I have survived a lot of adversity and that I continue my journey, like Tennyson's Ulysses, "to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mara...I love that quote!
    We are survivors!
    Our life is our journey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It's a good half-sentence to think about.

    ReplyDelete