Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

It's been a great day. I am not a superstitious person, but I do cringe when I realize that it's 'that day' again. Human reaction, I suppose.
I like to write things here that are informative, educational or helpful in some way. Today I just want to share.
I was more nervous about talking to students today than I was the first time. But it didn't last long. The school was much smaller, so the group of students was also smaller, and more 'intimate'. I want to present as credible, but also as someone who can identify with the students. I believe that I can. My involvement with Challenge Day and my support to the adolescents at River Centre while I was in treatment, combined, has given me some added insight that otherwise I wouldn't have. I really like those teens...especially before they reach 17 or so.
I realized today while driving home that I want more opportunities to speak to those who are in treatment. I would like to be able to show them that recovery is really a possibility, and reality.
The students in the schools are a great audience, but because the majority of them have never dealt with an eating disorder (thankfully!), I don't think they can comprehend the perspective I come from. That's OK. It's still worth my effort to try to touch at least one young person who may be struggling.
As I have said and written before, I believe my illness would have ended sooner had I been given the message that recovery is possible. If even one person had thought to tell me that I COULD recover, or that they believed in ME, it might have made a difference. That is why this is so important to me.
I continue to plant seeds every day. I am not in control of their growth, only to harvest if they produce. I am thankful that my days are full of various responsibilities. God willing, I will be ready when the harvest is ripe.
I need a couple of days to 'be broccoli'......

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan,

    It is such a powerful thing that you touch on here. Belief. We all need people to believe in us. Oftentimes, it is the belief that others have in us more so than the belief that we have in ourselves which spurs us on to greatness and in your case, RECOVERY.

    The more i read, the more i realise that there are many people who struggle in silence with this. Some may hear you speak and never come up to you or divulge anything to anyone close to them BUT it may still make an impact on them, cause them to seek help, cause them to pres the PAUSE button. The outcome can only be positive.

    More power to you Jan.

    F

    ReplyDelete